Monday, February 28, 2011

So, I can't believe my year mark is on the calendar this month. That's weird. Remember when I got dropped off at the MTC? I was real nervous and didn't know what to say up at grandma's so then I just played violin for a while before we left because I thought I wouldn't get to play it again. Grandpa was still around at that time. Did I ever tell you about the time I was just at my apartment at BYU and I just got sick of studying so I went running. I turned on my ipod and went running up the hill towards rock canyon. I was going to go up there, but something told me to go visit grandpa and grandma. I ran up and knocked on the door and went in. Grandpa and Grandma were just there as if waiting for me. I sat there and talked with grandpa and grandma for nearly an hour, just about school, and things. Grandpa asked me how much tuition was for a semester, and then talked about how much things had changed. I had never before been with grandma and grandpa Vernon just by myself. It was a really sweet experience. I didn't think much of it and then ran back home to practice violin. A couple of days later grandpa had his stroke, and things were never quite the same after that. I remember one time I ran into James at BYU, and we talked a while about grandpa as well. We said it was sad to see grandpa not able to drive things because we knew he really liked to drive. Then I remember when I was at the corner of a street in Taiwan about to call a referral, and the phone rang and it was President Hoer, and as soon as he started talking, I knew Grandpa had passed away. It was kind of expected, and it made me really happy that Grandpa Vernon was able to help me on my mission as well. I feel like he has a great love for our investigators here. I feel like when I play hymns and sing hymns he helps it go well. These last few move calls in this area have been full of blessings and miracles happening that I can feel grandpa's help. One miracle happened just last Thursday. I started taking my violin out more and more. But then one time I accidentally left it at an investigators house. That got me real worried. That violin is pretty precious. I was also worried that riding with it on a bike for miles and miles stopping to contact people on the way, it was going to get a little bit beat up. So I wanted to buy a cheap violin, then I could take it outside proselyting, and if I had a mission meeting, or played in church or something use my expensive one. I didn't know where to buy a violin though. then last Thursday, one of our lessons fell through, and on the way to our next lesson I saw a little tiny music shop and decided to stop inside. I asked them if they knew any places to buy a violin. The lady there said if I was looking for a cheap violin they might just have one there I could buy. She pulled out a violin, and said I could buy it if I want. She said she had been playing on it, and bought a little nicer bow and shoulder rest to go with it, but would sell those to me to. She totaled up the price, and it came to 2,600 dollars. (Taiwan dollars) I looked in my wallet and counted out all the money I had. I had exactly 2,600 dollars in my wallet. I was able to go in and buy exactly the violin I was looking for within 10 minutes, and it plays and sounds significantly better than other really cheap violins I've tried.
So, anyways. I said a prayer that night to give thanks, and I felt like both my grandpas were really involved in that one. And really happy to see me get a new little violin in Taiwan. I can hardly express how grateful I am for the help of those beyond the veil. Without the things they do we would hit so many dead ends, and we would miss so many golden opportunities. Little miracles happen every day.
Well, our investigators are progressing. some better than others.
Zhao dixiong didn't come to church, he worked instead. So he dropped his baptismal goal, and we'll have to somehow help him keep the sabbath day holy. I don't know how. :(
But, Indiana Jones came and the primary took him in really well, and the ward set up volunteers to bring him to church every week.
Parkson came, he's so solid. He's only three months older than I am, and we taught him the ten commandments, law of chastity, and the word of wisdom in one big lesson and he had no problems at all!
(Before I came to Taiwan, I hardly ever paid any attention to the second of the ten commandments. But a lot of people get hung up on the "can't worship idols" thing. Because bai bai is just the tradition of their family)
Anyways, things are pretty good. I love you all. keep up the good work. I haven't heard of any baptisms back there in a long time. Do some more finding and fellow-shipping, and challenge people to get baptized. Don't ever hesitate to invite people to baptized. It says that it preach my gospel somewhere. When is Sarah's family all going to get baptized?
add oil
Elder Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment