Monday, May 9, 2011

May 9, 2011



 
Hello! I'm a trainer now. My new companion is Elder Harper from Fridley (basically twin cities) Minnesota. Elder Harper is great, and I find it really fun to be able to teach somebody from scratch how to do missionary work. His chinese is actually pretty good, and I feel like this is going to be a great transfer. We have a couple good investigators, but actually, only one good investigator. His name is huang dixiong. He said he was willing to quit smoking and drinking, and if he actually does, then he'll get baptized. He has a pretty big desire, so I believe he will be able to do it.
 
Sometimes I feel like there are just a whole bunch of things to think about. A lot of key indicators, a lot of people, a lot of appointments and stuff. It almost feels a little bit overhwhelming, especially when I give myself pressure because I'm not hitting my own goals. But, today I once again read Bruce R. McConkie's talk the "Purifying Power of Gethsemane" and I just remembered that it's all focused on Jesus Christ. All doctrine is centered on Jesus Christ. We're not here to teach about prophets, and the Book of Mormon, and Priesthood and all sorts of different things. We're here to testify about Jesus Christ, and how each of these separate things testify of him as well. Our Purpose is to invite others to "Come unto Christ."  I felt that even though there are a lot of things, at least I had a burning testimony of Jesus Christ, and his atonement. And the fulness of my intent was like Nephi to persuade men to believe in Him and be saved. That made things a lot simpler, remembering that there really was only one goal, one focus, and everything else is just there to help us hit that. 
Bubye!
Elder Vernon

1 comment:

  1. Holy Cow!!! hahaha I love that elder!!! He was my favorite from the MTC. I know he was working hard to learn chinese. NO way!!! haha I can't believe you two are mission comps.

    Thanks Sister Vernon for posting this:) This definately made my Sunday.

    Everyday I get closer to getting my call I think about Heritage Tours more and more. That was one amazing trip.

    ReplyDelete