Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sept. 11, 2011

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival
William Preston Vernon 


Today's mid-autumn festival. Families in Taiwan are returning to their parents homes, eating moon cakes, and barbequeing together!  Preparation days come and go really fast. Last week I bought some new belts, ties and three new shirts that are really white and shiny. All of my shirts were yellowish gray.
Today we are going to the ward barbeque out in our secondary area of Hua tan.
I have a question for Prenten, I found a former investigator family that said they used to meet once a week and read the book of mormon with an Elder Fei. Did Prenten ever serve in Zhanghua? The guy's name is Liang Zheng Dong.
I'm still concerned, our zone is struggling right now, and I'm struggling right now. But, the Lord continues to bless us. I just wish he'd bless us with some more baptisms!
We met a couple new investigators though. One is a really cool college student named Vincent Chen. I contacted him while I had my violin on my back, turns out he plays the violin as well, and he seems genuinely interested in the gospel.
The other new investigator is a mr. Wang who I contacted on exchanges the other day. He's got some problems. He's not one of those people that are really quick, and understand everything you say to them. He's a little bit weird.
But for some reason I love investigators like that. Sometimes you just run into some really funny, really weird, really sad, or really crazy (like truly crazy) people on your mission. I think Taiwan has a lot of these people. I guess I never talked to every person on the streets in america either, I guess there's weirdies everywhere.
Anyways, He said he was a former and went to church before, so we invited him to be baptized as soon as possible. And told him to come to church on sunday. Both his numbers were wrong so we figured he wouldn't. vincent couldn't come this week he said, and nobody else was coming. We thought we were going to have no investigators in church. I prayed really hard, then we got a blessing. Brother Wang walked in during the last of sacrament meeting with his tea, cigarettes and betelnut breath. haha. He's great.
turns out he showed up first at a chapel in a different city somehow, and when the elders asked who he was, he said he was coming to get baptized that day.
One fun thing we do is go on exchanges with our ward members once a week. This week I went with a ward member that can't really speak, he has a handicap. It was interesting how in a lesson a person that couldn't even talk clearly brought the spirit.
I don't really have much else to say.
I'll be home in 7 months from today. seven months isn't very long. It'll go quick! I'm excited though, to try hard to baptize some more people, strengthen the wards where I serve before I go home.
I guess I can decide if I want to come home after 15 transfers or 16. 15 would land me at the end of february, 16 would be about april 10 or so. Unless there's any special reason for schooling or anything, I think I would definitely like to stay 16. I have to tell president bishop before christmas.
Anyways, that's about it for today. Bubye!
I love all y'alls.
Have a happy time with all the little children and things you have to do back home!
Elder Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment