Monday, September 26, 2011

September 26, 2011

Do you want to know a funny story. We have this old old man in our ward, who has a big long white beard, that walks real slow with a little walker. I didn't think he could really talk until last sunday when I sat down next to him for a little while and talked. He told me that he was in his 60's!!!!!  Aaaaaaaaah! i just about died, because who knows what my Parents will be like when I finally get home? I just imagined Daddy with a straggly beard and using a little walker thing. hahaha. And Mom can be one of the old old taiwanese ladies that doesn't speak chinese, and rides around real slow on her scooter picking up garbage.  haha.
I'm just kidding. I'm grateful that I have such healthy parents. It has been a real big eye-opener though, because all the old people here look older than they really are.
 
Well, things are going okay in Zhanghua. We're all a little frustrated because we can't find any investigators. I guess that's not true, we have some. But we don't have any that really want to get baptized. I just feel really really bad because Elder Geddes and I had some really good investigators that were progressing, but then he left, and I think I just gave them too much pressure, and they didn't feel as much love, and they lost interest.
This week we were contacting on the street, and then this funny looking guy with big teeth on an old rusty bike with a huge old water jug on the back was riding past. Right as he was passing us his bungee cord snapped and his big ol water jug flew off his bike. hahaha. we ran and helped him put it back on, and then he welcomed us over to his house to meet with him. He seemed to be interested in the message. We took him over to help paint a recent converts house, and I think he enjoyed that. But then on sunday we asked if he could come to church, and he said he was too busy, he had to go read the newspapers. Bah.
 
There's also a chubby little kid that hangs out at the Elementary school. Sometimes we go find him and sit down and teach him about the Book of Mormon. But the church is too far for him to go to on sunday. his mom won't let him.
 
I'm starting to love the ward here more and more. There's lots of weirdies in it. i remember the first time I came I just looked around and thought some bad thoughts about what investigators would think when they came to church the first time. But, as I get to know these special members and visit them, I start to love them so much. they really are special, and amazing that without any support from their families, they come to church every single week by themselves. So we've been having a lot of fun lately visiting members and strengthening them.
 
That's about it for now.
 
Love,
Elder Vernon.

No comments:

Post a Comment