Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 3, 2011

Dear family


I can't believe the Provo tabernacle is going to turn into a temple. Right there on the opposite side of BYU. Oh that'll be so nice, the provo temple was always too busy.

Everything is going well here. I tracted into a family that was really accepting of our message. The father seems genuinely interested, and really willing. He has two children 11 and 8 who are real cute and like to get visits from us. the wife hasn't really been willing to meet with us yet though, and we don't think she has a lot of interest. Their last name is Peng, and their about our only real promising investigators at this point, so we  would really appreciate any prayers for the Peng Family to keep accepting to gospel message, be able to keep their commitments and progress towards baptism and eternal life!
In personal study today I read in the Book of 3 Nephi, chapters 22-25. And I was so touched by the words of Isaiah. I felt like I had never read such beautiful scripture that applied so well to me. The Lord comforts zion, and says he is the "maker" and the "husband" and that zion's shame would be forgotten, and that the Lord will remember them, and have mercy on them, and partake of his "Everlasting Kindness."
It was just the scripture I needed because I have really had a desire lately to gain a Stronger testimony of Jesus Christ. I felt so strongly the Savior's love for me. I felt strongly that as long as we are repenting daily, and turning toward him, he would always love and be merciful to me. I know better now how the Book of Mormon can help us understand and get to know Jesus Christ. Yesterday was not a good turnout at church. For a variety of reasons, our recent converts were all unable to come, and then our family that was planning on coming, the wife got sick, and we only had 1 investigator at church. Once again, I'm feeling humbled in zhanghua where all we can do yields little results. But, we just focus on the input, and leave the output to the Lord.
I feel a lot of new strength and help from the other side of the veil today. I don't know how but I woke up today with a lot more vigor and determination to set goals, make plans, keep myself working hard and really do my best on my mission.
I feel so so grateful for the power that comes from the atonement of Jesus Christ. And also the blessings of fast sunday. I fasted Yesterday, for the ward, for me, for some missionaries in the zone, and for some family members.
But as I was praying for strength for myself, I felt a distinct feeling that my Mother and Father and maybe even other family members on the other side of the veil, were praying for me as well, and I felt really touched.
I love the blessings that come from a mission. I've only got 6 months left, so I'm going to have to work my very very hardest, and send a couple more good blessings home as a result of my service.
 
That's about it I guess.
 
Last week we had zone conference on Tuesday, and it was on the topic of Covenants. President Bishop talked about covenants and it was really amazing. Sister Bishop talked about Women in the church and the Relief Society, and the assistants helped us remember the Basics of Contacting and talking to Everyone.
 
i didn't take a lot of good notes though, because I was translating. Elder Siebert, who's Taiwanese but grew up in America, and I were asked to translate. I looked at him for a lot of words, like when we talked about health and flu vaccinations, but overall it was really really fun to listen to English and be able to spit it out it chinese. I hope I didn't make any big embarrassing mistakes. :)
 
Love, Elder Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment